Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What does the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Ron Agam have in common ?





New York is truly an incredible place to live and work.  Throughout my life here , I have experienced moments of incredible intensity and joy.

My great pleasure in life is to have great encounters, nothing fills my heart and soul more so than meeting people with whom I can think and create, dream and finally have amazing conversation.

For this our cosmopolitan city can serve, you well. A few months ago, I had the privilege to meet a man, Eli Wilner, who was introduced to me as the greatest frame maker in the city. First, I was impressed, then I really did not know, why this great artisan would be interested in meeting a contemporary photographer. For me, his world was the world of classical painters, established museums, high-end collectors of treasures only accessible to a world of high privilege.

So when, he first came to my studio and loved my work, especially my gigantic portraits of flowers, I was of course, pleased, to get his special attention. . He was for me a man from another universe, a man that spends his time, framing paintings for the Metropolitan Museum, the White House, he recently framed 28 paintings there.

We talked about art , photography, people we knew, collectors and the world. The visit lasted an hour and it was a pleasant time.

Weeks later, I was bicycling in his neighborhood and in my backpack I had a small 8 x 8 inch photograph of mine. I decided to call on him , and see if he will receive me in his studio. I was just curious to see what kind of work and frames, he was working on.

I rang at his door and a lovely lady opened the door and directed me towards, Eli’s office. Eli is a very distinguished man, dressed in impeccable style, thin, tall and very soft spoken. I was dressed like a bike messenger; in black with a yellow helmet, not exactly the cool downtown artist. I immediately pulled from my messenger bag, my little treasure. To my surprise, Eli looked at the piece and without thinking twice told me Ron, why don’t you choose a frame and I will do it for you. Now to just give you an idea, he just finished framing an 80 million dollars Picasso, and here I was with my “little portrait of flower” being asked to choose a frame for it.

Not shying away, I looked at hundred of rares profiles and choose a 17 Century Italian carved and gilded frame. It was for me an incredible opportunity to bring my contemporary photography into a world of classical creation. I just loved the idea, and Eli even more than me; here for a rare time, he was talking to a living artist and could interact and share a special moment.


Just a few days ago, Eli called and told me that my custom made replica frame was ready and I should come and see it. I was marveled by its beauty. Now I am even more inspired to create and work with Eli on even more complicated pieces. He just mentioned to me that he would like to frame one of my 8 x 8 feet pieces. See life is full of surprise. I will probably have to mortgage my house to pay for it !

These are some of Eli Wilner accomplishments, 28 frame projects for The White House. Most recently, he created a hand-carved and gilded replica of the lost original frame for Washington Crossing the Delaware by Emanuel Leutze. This frame will be the focal point of the renovated American Wing at The Metropolitan Museum, and is slated to be unveiled at the opening in the spring of 2011. The frame's opening size is over 12 x 21 feet, and is surmounted by an elaborate construction twelve feet across displaying an eagle, flags, pikes, a banner and other regalia. 














2 comments:

  1. Wow... A very inspiring story. I never gave much thought to the artistic elements embedded in a frame. It is amazing to see how two people coincidentally come together and art (aka magic) is created.

    The photo you donated this week to our fundraiser for Elem was the centerpiece of the collection. Jennifer Roth of Sotheby couldn't stop praising you, your work and the recent honorary title you received.

    Keep up the magic!

    Oren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eli Wilner is donating frames for the artwork on Silent Auction this weekend (March 5, 2010) in New York City.

    Other sponsors include Louis Vuitton, Moet Hennessy, Renaud Dutreil, Susan Fales-Hill among others.

    Proceeds to support LakayPAM & H.E.L.P. Haitian Education & Leadership Program.

    http://eliwilner.wordpress.com/2010/02/25/lvmh-eli-wilner-and-h-e-l-p-present-a-silent-auction-to-benefit-haiti/

    ReplyDelete