Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Memories in the Atelier


The Work

Growing up as a child in Paris the 1960’s, I remember spending endless hours in my father’s atelier, later we learned that Paul Gauguin had worked in this place as well. I used to hang around him, playing with painting tube full of luscious and vibrating colors. Often I will take a brush and try to emulate my dad, but the results were often closer to a “gribouillage”1 than anything that I will consider an “artwork” today. But the most impressive part were the glass palettes filled with literally hundreds of different colors. The sight of it was truly just unbelievable. The memories of this atelier follow me today almost 40 years after as some of the most wonderful images embedded in my little child head. So today, I just filmed a little clip of my humble studio were just a few colors were on my table while I was working on this new small painting. I did just thinking back about my childhood.

1.)
scribble




No comments:

Post a Comment